Ways to Give


Hillside House welcomes your generosity in whatever form works best for you. Whether you are giving to our Annual Fund, creating an endowment in your name, or arranging for a gift of stock, we are grateful for your contribution.

Hillside House is ultimately about the incalculable preciousness of human life, and those who support our services share an appreciation of the fact that anyone’s happiness is dependent on everyone’s wellbeing.

Director of Development, Curt Lauber
Curt Lauber
Director of Development

Curt became Hillside House’s first Director of Development in 2002 after 10 years at Devereux, first as National Director of Development and then as head of the development program at the Santa Barbara center. During Curt’s six-year tenure, charitable giving at Hillside House has increased threefold.

Curt began his career in development at Swarthmore College in 1983 where he was associate director of development. He moved to Devereux in 1990 and while there initiated Devereux’s national planned giving program.

[email protected] 
(805) 687-0788, ext. 115.

The Hillside House Annual Fund

The Annual Fund may be the single best way for an advocate to cast a vote for the importance of the work done here. Gifts to the Hillside House Annual Fund support the core operations by which we fulfill our mission. The Annual Fund helps to pay staff salaries and benefits, facilities upkeep, medical supplies and resident meals. These are the funds that management can apply to the most pressing needs at the time. 

Donors may make gifts by cash, check or credit card, and you may make your donation online using our secure donation form. Checks should be made payable to Hillside House and mailed to:

1235 Veronica Springs Rd.
Santa Barbara, CA

Please write "donation" on the memo line of the check. Thank you!

Donors will be acknowledged by name in our Annual Report and donors who make gifts above $500 will also be acknowledged by name on our givezooks donation website. If you wish to remain anonymous, please just let us know.  Let us know if you would like to get involved.

Make a Monthly Pledge

If you would like to arrange for automatic monthly charges to your credit card, it’s easy! Please contact Curt Lauber at
[email protected] or (805) 687-0788 x115.

Gifts of Stock

Gifts of securities such as stocks, bonds and mutual funds are especially advantageous if you hold a security such as stock that has increased in value since you acquired it. By making a gift of stock held longer than one year, you completely avoid paying capital gains tax. In addition, you would receive an income tax deduction for the current market value of the gift. You may deduct gifts totaling up to 30% of your adjusted gross income in any year, with a five-year carry-over for any excess. To make an electronic transfer or mail us a stock certificate, please contact Curt Lauber at [email protected] or (805) 687-0788 x115 for our easy instructions.

Matching Gifts

If you work for a company with a matching gift program, your gift to Hillside House could be doubled, or even tripled! Check with your company for details.

Tribute Gifts

Gifts made in honor or memory of a friend or family member are gratefully accepted. We will inform any friends or relatives that you identify, and include the name of the honoree in our Annual Report.

Gifts of Real Property

Donating appreciated real estate allows you to avoid tax on the appreciated value of the property and receive an income tax deduction for its full fair market value.

Ways to Give


You can ensure your legacy will be remembered and help to secure the future of Hillside House and its residents by providing for Hillside House in your will. Contact us for simple instructions on how to arrange a bequest: [email protected] or (805) 687-0788 x115


It is a fact of life for non-profit organizations that none of them can thrive on the revenue they receive as payment for services, tuition, or admission. Without exception, the non-profit organizations and institutions that are the leaders in their fields draw on the income from their invested assets to supplement their primary income sources. In the cases of the leading colleges, universities, hospitals, museums and cultural organizations, as much as 50% of their annual revenue comes from permanently invested assets.

These reserves also act as insurance against the influence of difficult funding cycles. Hillside House has no control over the rate-setting decisions made in Sacramento, so if our level of service is to remain steadily high, we need other dependable sources of revenue.

Traditionally, endowments have been built by bequests and gifts from the estates of core supporters. At Hillside House we also have two endowments that have been created by gifts from current donors.

The income from The Margo Freemon Endowment helps immensely to close the gap between the medical services we provide and Medi-Cal’s reimbursement. This gap is often $25,000-$30,000 per year. The memorial fund is named for Margo Freemon, who lived at Hillside House from 1968-2001.

Ways to Give

The Phyllis Thaxton Endowment provides supplemental income for staff salaries. This fund is also established in memory of a longtime resident. Phyllis Thaxton lived at Hillside house from 1952 until her death in 2002. Her family established this essential permanent fund in 2003. 

A $5,000 investment is required to establish a permanent, named fund at Hillside House. Gifts of any amount can be added to our existing named funds or to the Hillside House General Endowment Fund.

To discuss ways you can give to Hillside House, please contact Curt Lauber, Director of Development: [email protected], (805) 687-0788, ext. 115 or click here to make a donation today. Thank you!


Volunteering your time and energy is another valuable way to give to Hillside House.

To find out more about volunteering, click here.

Print Friendly and PDF